top of page
In the name of conservancy the Bavarian government turned an area of 13,000 (ca. 32,000 acres) into the Bavarian Forest National Park in 1970.
Bavaria has long had one of the largest economies of any region in Germany, or Europe for that matter. It has a GDP per capita of over $48,000US, meaning that if it were its own independent country,
...it would rank 7th or 8th in the world.
- The capitol city of Bavaria is Munich.
- Munich is the 3rd largest city in Germany behind Berlin and Hamburg.
- The 2 major rivers that flow through Bavaria are the Danube (Donau) and the Main.
- The Zugspitze is the highest mountain in Bavaria (all of Germany) at 2,963m.
- Famous Bavarians include amongst others, Pope Benedict XVI, Richard Wagner, Richard Strauss, Thomas Mann, Bertolt Brecht, Rudolf Diesel, Levi Strauss, Alois Alzheimer, Adolf 'Adi' Dassler (Addidas) and his brother Rudolf Dassler (Puma).
- The organ in the Stephansdom in Passau is the biggest catholic church organ in the world. (My neighbor played on that organ.)
- The Bayern Munich soccer team, FC Bayern, is the most successful soccer team in the Bundesliga, having won 4 times (1974, 1975, 1976, 2001).
And just for the record, I am a proud member of the
'FC Bayern Fan Club Long Island'.
Reunification and Regions
Following the reunification of Germany in 1990; the country was segmented into 16 federal states. One of those 16 federal states is Bavaria.
The free state of Bavaria is the largest state and is located in the Southeast of Germany. It covers almost one-fifth of the total land area in Germany. Bavaria shares borders with Austria, Czech Republic, Switzerland, as well as neighboring German states.
Bavaria itself is divided into 7 administrative regions:
1. Upper Franconia (Oberfranken)
2. Middle Franconia (Mittelfranken)
3. Lower Franconia (Unterfranken)
4. Bavarian-Swabia (Schwaben)
5. Upper Palatinate (Oberpfalz)
6. Upper Bavaria (Oberbayern)
7. Lower Bavaria (Niederbayern)...where I used to live!
Enclosed are some facts about Bavaria
bottom of page